Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Song of the Week (11/07/2007) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Well I've been thinking whether or not putting this song up. But I guess it's a classic and it has a guaranteed place in most of our hearts, so it's worth it :). I also had trouble deciding if I should put the whole background story or not, but I decided to go for a short version.

Sometime around the 70s, this band that played psychedelic rock had already formed. Syd Barret, former "leader" of the band had left and disappeared from the band's lives for around 5 years.

The band, Pink Floyd, felt like they had to pay tribute to this old member of theirs. So they recorded Wish You Were Here (album). My two favorite songs by Pink Floyd (Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here) come in this album, which has become my favorite from Pink Floyd. Both songs are dedicated to the former member I previously described. It is said that Syd Barrett arrived unexpectedly at the recording studio when they were recording Shine On. Fat and hairless, the band barely recognized him. However, they payed tribute to him with two great songs, I had to pick Wish You Were Here, but both are just as great.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Lyrics:

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell?
Blue skies from pain?
Can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade, your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year.
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.


2 comments (Click to Show/Hide):

noreign said...

Very nice choice for this week. I happen to like this song a lot, too, but it's not my favorite Pink Floyd song either, not by a long shot. In fact, just like you, my favorite song is Shine On You Crazy Diamond (yes, the whole 9 parts ;P). I would've chosen that one instead of Wish You Were Here maybe because it's much less mainstream and popular. Also because I think it's "better" and more representative of the band in general. Nevertheless, great song for this week, specially because of the background Syd Barret story.

Speaking of which, was he really the former "leader" of the band? I didn't know that.

Sooki said...

Well thanks. I try to write some general details about the song in turn, just to give an idea of where it came from (important to me, not sure about other people's tastes).

Yes, maybe not the leader but he wrote most of the first material by Pink Floyd. The story of his psychological problems isn't nice. He recently died, and some people wonder if Pink Floyd would've been as great as it was if he had stayed with the band. We probably wouldn't be talking about this song.