Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Song of the Week (20/06/2007) Sonata Arctica - Kingdom for a Heart

I've been very busy the last couple of weeks, but I finally got everything under control. A lot of songs have come and gone and I haven't been able to immortalize them here. Well anyway. This song is from a Finnish metal band. Lol, a little side story, one day in my faculty's radio station some girl on the speaker said "this (she was talking about Finntroll actually), like most metal bands is from Finland". Well, we got news for her: that's not true. There is a large number though, and this is an example.

Sonata's style is a little confusing, I wouldn't say it's power metal, but I wouldn't say it's plain metal. I don't even know what plain metal is nowadays. Genre is not an issue anyway(well it is kinda, I prefer my metal without grunts). This song is pretty nice, it seems to deal with the classic "I have a kingdom but it's nothing compared to having your heart" idea, which is a bit of a letdown because I expected deeper lyrics. On the other side, the keyboard riffs are fun to listen and the rhythm will keep you moving throughout most of the song. The ending is a bit sudden though, but it leads very nicely into the next song in the album "Full Moon" which is a great metal ballad. The album that has this song is called Ecliptica. I'm going to see these guys on stage whenever I get the chance ^^

Lyrics from:
Sonata Arctica's Website
Kingdom For A Heart

(Tony Kakko)

What the hell are you standing there for, expecting
me to help you, when I'm down myself
Waiting my savior, my world is flooding over, there's
no room for air, I can't breathe, I would give a kingdom
for one more day

I'd give - a kingdom
For one more day as a king of your world
I'd give a kingdom, for just one more day

What the hell am I waiting here for, expecting you to
come and give away your life
Just for a moment of my time, have a hole where I
should have a heart, I'm made of wood, I'm falling
apart, I would give a kingdom if I only had you

I'd give - a kingdom
For one more day as a kind of your world
I'd give a kingdom, if I had a heart

I'd give it all for a heart
if I was a King I would give away my kingdom
Treasures and crowns wouldn't mean a thing
If I only had a heart, if I only had a heart...

Now I know I will never love you, I'm a man without
a heart, I'm not allowed to feel human feelings
I'm king of the land, I'm a ruler of seas, I'd give it
away in a moment. If I only had one moment

I'd give - a kingdom
For one more day as a king of your world
I'd give a kingdom, if I had a heart

I'd give it all for a heart
if I was a King I would give away my kingdom
Treasures and crowns wouldn't mean a thing
If I only had a heart, if I only had a heart...

4 comments (Click to Show/Hide):

Flow said...

A good piece of listenable metal ( of course non-grunt) :P, though i agree lyrics aren't that much, anyway you can obliterate them in your mind and listen to the song a bit more pleasantly

Sooki said...

Most of the keyboard riffs are pretty enjoyable when listening Sonata Arctica, there does seem to be some trouble with the lyrics though. Never enough. I wonder if they actually dominated English well when they made this album (1999). I believe the lyrics in the latest albums are a bit better.

rover said...

Sonata is a bit on the lighter side of metal. Remember that this song is from an earlier sonata album, some of the songs released in Unia (2007 album) like "They Follow" (japanese only track lol) have much better lyrics. My guess is the same as sooki's, they probably didn't know english very well at first

Sooki said...

Ah yes, They Follow is great, what I don't understand is the amazing amount of japan only and japan special tracks these days. Well guess japanese people just love the limited editions:P. Its a good track most people will miss. "My Dream's but a Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare" is pretty good too, and the instrumental version (also japanese bonus track only) is pretty nice. Hope they can at least perform this live o_o