Saturday, June 2, 2007

Song of the Week (02/06/07) Greg Bissonette - Train to Willoughby

To tell you the truth, I have NO IDEA where I got this song from, really. It was like hey, there's a new song in my library...

Well anyway, the song planned for this week was The Lamia by Genesis, but since I have some time I'm going to put a pretty interesting song with a lot of references, and try to get most of them explained. It was pretty fun discovering I knew most of these, and also discovered how much I don't know. Hmm Steve Stevens (from Bozzio Levin and Stevens; if that rings a bell, if not, forget this sentence) plays in this song, somewhat plain old rock with a slice of prog. metal.

Train to Willoughby by Steve Stevens Lyrics (with meanings by Sooki ;))
Farewell to Manzanar -Manzanar was Japanese-American Conc. Camp in USA, during WWII.
Far From the Maddening Crowd - Didn't know this one, there's a movie called Far from the Madding Crowd, guess it's referring to that.
My Good 'Ole, Summertime - This is a hard one too, this is a very common phrase, but there's also a song with this name o_o not sure.
Shipwrecked on Treasure Island - From Stevenson's Treasure Island, I guess.

*C'mon we've got to go - Hmmm, no idea.
It's time to stand alone today... - No idea either, maybe to add some coherence? The song is still very incoherent anyway so, what's the point?

**Madame Butterfly(Singing in the Rain) - didn't know these, Madame Butterfly is an opera and singin' in the rain a classic song.
Catcher in the Rye(Pinky and the Brain) - Catcher in the Rye the greeeeat (in my opinion) book by J.D. Sallinger, and um the Pinky and the Brain cartoon?
See the King and I - The musical a lot of people know of but have never seen, including me.
As we ride the Train to Willoughby - No idea, Willoughby is the name of several places...

Come near me, Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf character. I've always wondered why Woolf has two o's, but no one cares about that. Wasn't sure about this one.
My Glass Menagerie - play by Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie.
Be still my Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allan Poe's short story.
When War of the Worlds will start - War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.

* Repeat
** Repeat
** Repeat

As we ride the Train to Willoughby
As we ride the Train to Willoughby

1 comments (Click to Show/Hide):

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farewell_to_Manzanar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_from_the_Madding_Crowd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Good_Old_Summertime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_Butterfly_(1932_film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_and_I

Very simple.