Thursday, March 15, 2007

Song of the Week 15/03/2007 The Seatbelts - Wo Qui Non Coin

Hey, time for another song of the week, before I lose myself in the world of psychology journal articles.

The Seatbelts is the name of the band that performed the music for Cowboy Bebop. Both their music and Cowboy Bebop (ranking around #3 in my personal favorites) are a beauty, but in this occasion let's focus on the music.

Names that shine within the Seatbelts are Yoko Kanno, composer of many many anime music tracks. Tsuneo Imahori on the guitar (composer of Trigun's OST), Mai Yamane as singer on some songs, and a guest musician spam (who do a great job on most of the songs). Highly Jazzy, with incredible style, the music just helps Cowboy Bebop flow nicely. There's a great number of tracks that shine, and will probably be up for future songs of the week, but for now I'll just take a personal favorite: Wo Qui Non Coin.

Do not expect to find the most artistically beautiful song from Bebop in this track, it's just a personal favorite. It's playful, the rhythm just flows (it sticks into your head :P), and it helps the scene in Cowboy Bebop in a great way; you could say it's Ed's Theme ;) . I'd post a picture of that moment, but *someone* has my Bebop DVD.

Oh btw, the Seatbelts (or Gabriela Robin, the lyricist in this case), in this playful "we are a band from 2071, the Seatbelts" concept, went as far as creating languages for the songs of this Anime, or maybe just messing up existing languages. In this case, around half of the song is sung in japanese, and the other half in some sort of meaningless french, very amusing, actually; put is up as my MSN nick, got some people telling me that my french was... mediocre haha.

Oh, the singer from this song is Ed's voice actress, Aoi Tada, I believe ^^.

The Seatbelts - Wo Qui Non Coin
Source (whom I deliberately borrow their lyrics :P): http://www.animelyrics.com/

Hanamogeraed by: Aoi Tada (Yes, that's what the booklet says. ^^;;)

Lyrics by: Gabriela Robin

Romanized by: Priya Monrad/Tommy Pedrini

boku no koinu ga
inaku natta
shiroi ashi shiroi shippo
zutto issho datta no ni

boku no koinu ga
inaku natta
shiroi mimi shiroi senaka
itsumo issho datta no ni

boku wa kawaita namida de
mainichi kurashite'ru
hayaku kaette kite

ame no hi mo kaze no hi mo
mainichi sanpo shite ageru

dakara hayaku
hayaku kaette kite

*Translatable up to here

j'eu suis sa mosokona
wichet de bous sobleu
que se apusizi lepou zi ne
j'eu mi si tu lamour, tu lamour chet moi
hmm-hmm
j'eu suis sa mosokona
ruchet de bous sobleu
que se apusizi lepou zi ne
j'eu mi si tu lamour, tu lamour chet moi
hmm-hmm
adetu la mien ka fe tu notra
abelru hii ri soa
a lamour
ma-mii...
andetu la rien ka fe tu notra
abelru hii ri sora
a lamour
j'eu me tu lire ti la me tushe kyuela
j'eu suis sa mosokona
wichet de bous sobleu
que se apusizi lepou zi ne
j'eu mi si tu lamour, tu lamour chet moi
hmm-hmm
j'eu suis la mo saa (ahh ahh...)

Translated part:

My puppy
isn't here
he has white feet and a white tail
we were together all the time

my puppy
isn't here
he has white ears and a white back
even though we were always together

My tears have dried up
everyday I hope
hurry
come back

rainy days and windy days
but everyday I know
I want you

so hurry, come back

*************************************

This song is used in Cowboy Bebop Session 24, Hard Luck Woman.


****
Full credits if you check http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/cbebop/woquinoncoin.htm
There may be mistakes in the aberrated french part, that would be because it's a phonetic attempt at capturing the lyrics, be nice :P

edit: fixed some errata and CSS column gimping, by removing the columns ;)

6 comments (Click to Show/Hide):

William said...

Why is the title of the song Wo Qui Non Coin? Is it some bastardization of the first verse?

Sooki said...

It would seem that way. It's one of Kanno's tricks with language present in a lot of her works. This "bastardization" seems more she's trying to write "boku no koinu ga" in some sort of disturbed french (like the rest of the lyrics). Much like in Japanese, you can write foreign stuff in katakana, and it sounds weird for some stuff (that isn't kanji pronunciation).

But as I said, this may just be Kanno's trick :p. Especially in Bebop, where she has the excuse of space travel and extraterrestrial stuff.

usws said...

Uh, i was looking around for the title of this song and thanks to you, i have! :D One question though, is this the same song that was playing while Faye and Ed were flying to the orphanage? That was another really lovely song. All i could catch from the lyrics were "Let it go".

Thanks and thanks in advance!! :)

Anonymous said...

Actually, there's a mistake in the translation:

1. By "my puppy ins't here", it shoudl really be "my puppy dissapeared", or I lost my puppy, or ran away. (although ran away implies that the dog did something on purpose, which is not the case). I'd use "disappeared".

2. At the end, "mainichi sanpo shite ageru" has no connection to "I know I want you". In fact, it means, "everyday I used to walk you" (as you walk a dog/take it out to the park).

So last verses:

Even on rainy days and windy days,
Everyday I would walk you,
So please hurry and come back.

This is a breautiful song, indeed. I had no idea the French was so messed up though. :)

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

If this is the song I like It was awesome I want to see a AMV or video full legnth song.... I though it was chu let mo or something... I have a dog too INu.. <3 -ember leona